[lug] SSH tunnel, svn, https problem

Glenn Murray gmurray at mines.edu
Tue Feb 3 16:07:13 MST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to get svn to work through an ssh tunnel to an https server
I'll call my.server.gov.  My tunnel starts at localhost:2588.  I can
browse to https://localhost:2588/svn/sysbio/trunk/sysbio/programming/
(I'm warned about an invalid certificate and have to give a
username/password, but I can browse).  Likewise, on the command line,
this works:

$ svn list https://localhost:2588/svn/sysbio/trunk/sysbio/programming/

However,

programming/$ svn list
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/sysbio/trunk/sysbio/programming'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/sysbio/trunk/sysbio/programming': Could not resolve
hostname `my.server.gov': Host not found (https://my.server.gov)

Now, in my ~.subversion/servers file, I have

[groups]
myserver = my.server*
[myserver]
http-proxy-host = localhost
http-proxy-port = 2588
ssl-trust-default-ca = yes

Does anyone happen to know why this doesn't work?  I don't have a
problem when connected through a VPN or when I'm "on campus".

Thanks much,
Glenn