[lug] Development & reporting tool choices

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Thu Feb 5 20:57:13 MST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 19:01, Kevin Kempter <kevin at kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 05 February 2009 18:08:50 Davide Del Vento wrote:
>> Probably this will not be a good reply, but I think that you will find
>> bunch of useful libraries for what you need in many of the "modern
>> web" languages such java, python etc. Perhaps you will find something
>> in C too, but I'll bet there are not be such a huge choice of
>> solutions, customizable things, robustness, choice of license (since
>> you are going to be closed sourced), etc.
>> Are you sure you *really want* to use C for this project?
>> Bye,
>> ;Dav
>
> The issues with the web & scripting languages out there is that the code is
> interpreted, so anyone who uses the scripts has the full set of source code,
> with the exception of Java however Java brings its owns set of drawbacks to
> the table which I feel are significant enough to warrant not going there. I
> think C is a good choice since it highly efficient and its compiled, I am
> however open to alternate (compiled) suggestions

Just FYI, Python code can actually be distributed in a compiled form
(.pyc files), though it is admittedly easier to decompile than C code
is.

Based on my own experience (I'm an expert in both C and Python), I
personally would take the risk of decompilation of the python code as
the language is far better suited to the task you describe, and would
thus be easier to create & maintain.  I'm also a bit skeptical of the
real benefits of closed-source applications, but that isn't really
relevant here.

The efficiency of C code is, however, a strong argument if that is a
requirement of the software....

--David