[lug] Development & reporting tool choices

Kevin Kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Fri Feb 6 06:26:38 MST 2009

On Thursday 05 February 2009 21:56:18 Davide Del Vento wrote:
> > Just FYI, Python code can actually be distributed in a compiled form
> > (.pyc files), though it is admittedly easier to decompile than C code
> > is.
>
> And there are code obfuscators and other similar stuff.
> Moreover, since your project would be web-based, you can keep your
> "critical" code only on your trusted server(s), and disclose to the
> client only useful but "irrelevant" interface in HTML/javascript and
> the likes.
>
> Probably you (I mean Kevin) don't have very clear ideas (or probably
> we misunderstood something). Just to be clear: would you like to
> develop something like skype or something like gmail?
>
> >  I'm also a bit skeptical of the
> > real benefits of closed-source applications,
>
> As a FSF member I am *very* skeptical....

The plan is to open source it once we gain some visibility in the market. I've
had some discussions about our tool with one of the big players in this niche
and they've already warned us that if we open source it too early they'll pull
it into their product and support it themselves, leaving us out of the
picture... I am a huge fan of open source, I'm still trying to work out how to
make this work.

Maybe I'll pop in to the meeting this month and get some more feedback, there
I'll be able to share more details