[lug] Development & reporting tool choices

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sat Feb 7 14:43:01 MST 2009

Welcome to the 21st century.  Java 1.0 was interpreted and slow, current
runtime engines use 'hotspot' optimization and routinely compile the
bytecode to native code.  In tests it's often -faster- than
conventionally compiled code.  Appserver startup can take a long time,
but that should be an extraordinarily rare event.

That brings up a big point against C: memory leakage. It's possible to
avoid memory leakage, but it takes good practices and some nonstandard
libraries.  E.g., every server I know uses 'pools' instead of the usual
malloc() calls.  All of your libraries will also need to be tested for
memory leakage.

Finally you don't want to casually dismiss the question of where you'll
find people to write the app, how much they'll have to write themselves
vs. using a well-tested library, etc.  I used C for over 20 years but I
have no doubt that Java is a better choice for web development because
of these factors.

Bear