[lug] Download file from a remote system

Carl Wagner carl.wagner at verbalworld.com
Mon Feb 9 15:43:20 MST 2009

Hi,

I have been thinking about this for a while now and would like to run it
by the group.

I would like to be able to automatically dial into a remote box (modem
only) and retrieve a file periodically (cron) say every 4-6 hours.
The file would be a few K-bytes in size, that I could compress down to
probably less than 1KB.  (It's temperature data).

What is the easiest way to do this (Debian Etch on both ends)?

UUCP, PPPD, expect script, something else?

Thanks,
Carl.