[lug] Download file from a remote system

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 16:44:24 MST 2009

Would a push work, in lieu of a pull?  That is, could the remote end email
you the file?

There are trade-offs -- like mail has to be working on the remote box -- but
in some configurations this could avoid a security issue.  Plus, if your
machine goes down, unless it's down for a really long time, the backlog will
get delivered after you come back up.

Alternatively, if there are no security issues at all, you could even send
it to a gmail account, which would let you pick the data up from anywhere.

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Carl Wagner <carl.wagner at verbalworld.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been thinking about this for a while now and would like to run it by
> the group.
>
> I would like to be able to automatically dial into a remote box (modem
> only) and retrieve a file periodically (cron) say every 4-6 hours.
> The file would be a few K-bytes in size, that I could compress down to
> probably less than 1KB.  (It's temperature data).
>
> What is the easiest way to do this (Debian Etch on both ends)?
>
> UUCP, PPPD, expect script, something else?
>
> Thanks,
> Carl.

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell]