[lug] Development & reporting tool choices

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Feb 10 13:18:23 MST 2009

Rob Nagler wrote:
> George Sexton writes:
>> Startup on the dual-core, 64 bit machines is about 140 seconds. On the
>> single core, 32-bit machine startup is about 200 seconds.
>
> You forgot to add the compile time.
>
> bivio.com starts in about 12 seconds on a 3ghz dual-core 32 bit (Dell
> 2650).  No compile time.  My guess is that it reads about 1500 Perl
> modules at startup.
>
> Why people still program "compiled" languages in this day and age is
> beyond me.

Major parts of Perl are written in C and optimized all the way.  Hash
lookups and regular expressions, for example.

Many Perl modules are written as interfaces to compiled code.

I have a project that can do a lookup in 3 microseconds, using a series
of cache aligned, prefetched b+trees.  It takes a *lot* longer in pure Perl.

I did make a Perl interface to it of course. :)

--
Zan Lynx
zlynx at acm.org

"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."