[lug] Toasting 1234567890

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Fri Feb 13 15:16:15 MST 2009

Congrats, Tom, and thanks for (yet another) post here on this timestamp anniversary!

I ran across some related pages:

Other events: http://www.1234567890day.com/

So I listed yours at the Scotch Corner Pub:
 http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/1825791/?ps=5

A nice countdown: http://redhorse.se/cs/time.html

Twitter: http://twitter.com/utcwatch

But I'm sad that everyone is ignoring the 24 leap seconds that will
have passed by then, ignored by the kernel....

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second

So I'll also celebrate the passing of 1234567890 TAI standard seconds
since January 1 1970, 00:00 UT1, 24 seconds earlier.

Because of the "rubber seconds" in use before 1972 and other issues
there are actually several other interpretations of the number of
seconds since 1970 - see these links:

 http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/onlinebib.html#POSIX
 http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/onlinebib.html#POSIXepoch

And the legal situation is different still, see:

 http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/epochtime.html

Anyway, sorry I probably won't be there at the pub....

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/