[lug] vhs capture - windows

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Feb 16 14:55:45 MST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 14:13 -0700, Ben Burdette wrote:
> I have a hauppauge card too, works great I think.  I recently remember
> reading about a TV tuner device that you connect to your network, then
> any computer on the network can access the video stream.  That might be
> worth a look if you're thinking about buying a TV tuner anyway.  IIRC
> that was an HD device, maybe there's one that would handle NTSC too.

Tuners without hardware mpeg encoding chew up lots of CPU.  I prefer the
ones with hardware mpeg encoding (the Hauppauge series).  But the ones I
use now are no longer sold.  The new 1600 seems to be the replacement of
choice, which supports both NTSC and digital.

MythTV will stream Live TV across a network.  I do it across a wireless
at home.  I record a show (usually Lost) on the server then drag my
laptop with TV-out to the bedroom downstairs to watch the recording sans
commercials via S-Video and an audio cable.  Despite dire warnings from
some, the wireless manages the feed me the data without interruption.
This is *not* HD, however.

You can also pseudo-stream across the Internet if you use MythWeb to
start a recording and then use MythWeb to view the recording.  You can
even use MythWeb to control the remote tuner.  In my office, where I
have a MythTV backend server running across the room from my desk, I
have a CRT to display the MythTV frontend and use MythWeb from my laptop
at the desk to control the TV.  That way I don't overtask the laptop
while I'm working on it by running the MythTV frontend on the laptop - I
run it on the remote server instead and just watch it from across the
room (or rather listen to it - I'm usually working while all this
happens).

A cheap alternative is to turn on the VCR and use a remote to the VCR.
Once I discovered remote control via MythWeb, however, I stopped using
the VCR.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org