[lug] fedora / centos rpms

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Feb 16 14:56:17 MST 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:13:58 -0800 (PST)
karl horlen <horlenkarl at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > RHEL5/CentOS5 is based on Fedora Core 6.
>
> i totally screwed up the the conversion across the products.  i can
> definitely see how this would be a disaster.

Yeah. ;)

> if you took my original question and substituted fedora 6 where i had
> stated fedora 10 in error and asked the same questions, would that
> make more sense?  would i then be able to install a fedora 6 rpm on a
> centOS 5 system from a compatibility standpoint?

The answer there is "probibly". There were some fc6 packages that were
just directly imported into rhel/centos5 (look for .fc6 package names).
There may be some issues with versions still as they are not exactly
the same, but it would probibly work.

> sorry for the confusion.

No worries. ;)

> > For CentOS5/RHEL5 machines you should use EPEL packages:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
> >
> > These are compiled against the correct version and are
> > known to work,
>
> i didn't know this existed.  obviously this would be the best place
> to pull the rpms from.

Yep. ;)

> but in theory ;-).. could i safely install a fedora *6* rpm on a
> centOS 5 based install

Possibly. ;)

> thanks

kevin