[lug] Advice Wanted: How to Locate OS projects in need ofdocumentation help

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Tue Mar 3 13:50:11 MST 2009

I saw Joshua speak back when his book was new at the Denver Agile Developers
group. He was promoting his book "Refactoring to Patterns"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321213351/jr_bunk-20

He basically took an open source project (the NEKO html parser) and
refactored it for the purpose writing a book about the process. You could do
something similar. Just an idea.

Another idea would be to clean up the Linux HOW-TO's. They always need help!
There are so many that are out of date.

If you are interested: I've been looking for a good tutorial on Linux for
over ten years! I wrote a long critique of the problems with every single
Linux tutorial I ever got my hands on. I still might try to publish it my
critique. I have yet to see a linux tutorial in published book form that was
helpful to a beginner. Every single one I have ever seen assumes you know
the command you are looking for so you can look it up in the index and that
is useless to a beginner. Oops, sorry! Now I starting to rant.

Siegfried

  _____