[lug] testing PCI bus

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Mar 6 17:17:10 MST 2009

I bought a Hauppauge HVR 1600 for use with MythTV.  It worked (mostly)
the first time I brought it up but since then has failed to come up.
Research on the net leads me to believe, based on log data, that my PCI
bus may be dying.  I find this plausible since I had another card (a PVR
250) "die" in that system last summer when it got very hot in that room.
I've assumed that card is dead - it may just be the bus (I still have
the card).

So my question is this:  how can you test if the PCI bus (or connectors)
are flaked out?  The system still runs in general.  It still functions
as a very good MythTV server though only the PVR 150 is working (it is a
PCI card too).

I'm going to try swapping the 1600 card with the 150 and see if it comes
up.  I think that would be a good sign that the bus is not behaving very
well.  Any other ideas?  I have another box I can put the 1600 in and
see if it comes up there.  I just don't want to run that box as a
backend.

If it's the PCI bus I think I'm going to have to swap in a new board
since I need that machine to server up my MythTV tuners.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org