[lug] ATT&T mobile broadband

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 17 08:35:26 MDT 2009

Gary Hodges wrote:
> I'm thinking about signing for mobile broadband with AT&T.  On the AT&T
> web site there are a lot of USB modems.  Anyone know of a model or two
> that is known play nice with Linux?

Thanks for all the responses.  I have to admit, I was probably a bit
quick to post this question to the group without more research.  The
lazy in me was hoping for a response along the lines of "Get model X.
It works great!"

I should add that I'm not strongly tied to AT&T by any stretch, only
that it was the first place I looked, and they have a discount for folks
with a .gov email address.  I am buying this through work for a work
machine, but I still like to get deals when I can.  Branching out a bit,
it looks like Sprint might be the best deal all things considered.  Plus
they have Linux instructions for at least one of their modems.  Downside
is, they have the worst coverage of AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile.  Upside
though, their roaming usage seems very reasonable to me @ 300 MB/month.
  I'm not sure how much I should trust the coverage maps though.  I
don't have a cell phone (never have) and don't have any clue which
company _really_ provides good coverage.

The computer I'm going to be using this with is the Dell Mini 9
w/Ubuntu.  I don't have it in hand yet, so can't haul it down to any
retail stores to try out modems.  If I do end up with a mobile broadband
account, I'll report back on my connectivity experience.

Gary