[lug] The issues of separate /home partitions, or maybe just freedesktop/SuSE problems?

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:33:00 MDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Scott Rohling <scott.rohling at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've always seen it as a given that your /home directory is going to contain
> things that might muck up a new installation..   So I tend to use a
> different userid for different installs - and migrate things from my 'old'
> userid as I feel I need them..

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.  And probably the easiest solution overall.

> It's still a good idea to keep a separate /home partition (IMHO).. keep the
> data separate from the OS when you can...

Yeah, that's what I was going for. Unfortunately, sometimes it seems
like the OS encroaches on the home directory. Or it did, until I
learned about stow.[1]  Until I get around to building RPMs of my own,
it's a convenient approximation of package management for /usr/local.
Makes it easy for me to switch back and forth between a bunch of
different versions of ruby, for example.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/

--
Chris Riddoch