[lug] removing imsettings: did I muck up this install or are my USB ports fubar?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Mar 20 08:22:36 MDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 00:11 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> It's "Input Methods". Basically ways to input any weird non english
> language into applications.

Ah.  I thought it was something like that.

> Anything in logs/dmesg?

Originally, no.  But then yesterday I managed to get it stable long
enough to watch /var/log/messages as I plugged and unplugged a mouse
into the various USB ports.  Turned out the ports are split up weird,
with one on the front of the machine and three, non-adjacent ports on
the back all belonging to one hub that gives read errors.  Plugging the
mouse into the other USB ports (which are on other hubs) I found the
mouse worked fine.  Ditto the keyboard.

The weird part was how the ports on a single hub were not adjacent to
one another.  That helped make it look like random USB failures.

> Yeah, or could it somehow be the keyboard flaking out?

Not in this case.  The keyboard works fine when attached to my laptop.
I had been using it for sometime that way till I got the new system.

> I don't think IMsettings is related... it sounds like keyboard or
> connector or something else odd going on hardware wise to me.

You're right.  It was just the coincidental nature of these things
happening at once that made it hard to identify where the real problem
was.

At least the board is working now (so far).  Maybe I'll get lucky and
Asus will see my to-be-written comments on NewEgg, take pity on me and
replace the board.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with a new board
with one dead hub.  I think I need to mark all the dead ports.

> kevin

Thanks for the response, Kevin.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org