[lug] [Slightly OT] File Management?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Mar 26 00:38:53 MDT 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:20:01 -0600, "Nate Duehr" <nate at natetech.com>
said:
> I fully agree, Paul that there are probably outliers (like nuclear
> weapons
> blowing up banks, from your own example) that are so far-fetched, that if
> they happen -- humans will have to negotiate reasonable terms to fix the
> problem.  Computers don't fix those things, people do.
>
> For the NORMAL day-to-day filesystem events we're all facing as the VAST
> MAJORITY of our "time" based problems, we can easily quantify and
> de-mystify
> the business risks of any particular system (not just backups) we choose
> use to operate our businesses.

Time to admit my sysadmin view from the 10,000' level seems a bit
crushed after reading this on lkml:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/3/25/632

Reading the entire thread is ridiculous.  The kernel and filesystem
folks don't seem to have any real definitions of how they want low-level
atomic events to happen.

I'm amazed ext3 works at all, reading this crud.  Wow.

Nate
--
  Nate Duehr
  nate at natetech.com