[lug] Learning to code on Linux.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Mar 28 11:50:01 MDT 2009

What's a good way to learn how to write C apps for Linux?

A friend called me today to ask about getting the source for libc.  I
installed Linux for him but didn't include the source packages.  He
wants to rewrite a FORTRAN app in C, so that it will be more portable
and maintainable down the road.  He has little experience with Linux.

So, I can get him the source.  He said, "if I have the source it will
answer all my questions about libc, and probably teach me what I need to
write my app."  He's not scared of doing hard work to gain a skill.

But I wonder what might be more efficient for him.  A study group or
book might be a big help.  Unfortunately he doesn't get around at all
and has dial-up Internet.

I expect he can figure out gcc, make, etc, but might need some help with
the easiest way to get source packages, how to use -dev packages, etc.

Anyone run across a concise way to get started?

Dave