[lug] Learning to code on Linux.

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 16:29:49 MDT 2009

Dave,

Me, I like K&R.  One of my friends can't stand it because it's too concise.
Horses for courses.

If he really wants to read through libc, I have a book I don't use much, The
Standard C Library<http://www.amazon.com/Standard-C-Library-P-J-Plauger/dp/0131315099>,
that I'd be willing to loan him.  It gives a dramatic reading of the source
code of an implementation; plus it's by P. J.
Plauger<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._J._Plauger>,
who was secretary of the ANSI C standards committee, so it's correct.

Plauger can write.  He's written award-winning science fiction, plus two of
the software books I'd want if stranded on a desert island: "Software
Tools," and "The Elements of Programming Style" (both with Brian
Kernighan).  I think "The Standard C Library" is uncharacteristically dull,
but maybe that's just me.

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell]