[lug] compact flash leveling in ubuntu (9.04)?

bgiles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sat Mar 28 21:32:42 MDT 2009

Does anyone know how to set up compact flash leveling, or if it's even
necessary?  (That is, is the kernel smart enough to recognize that it's
talking to a CF drive?)

If you aren't following hardware, newegg.com has a micro-desktop that
uses a dual-core atom processor on a netbook motherboard for only $160.
It's only 1.6 MHz and only supports 2GB (in one stick), but that's still
a very respectable system for most uses.  The biggest limitation is that
you're stuck with the onboard video, maxing at 1152 x 864.  There's no
expansion mechanism.  Like I said, netbook motherboard.

Toss in memory and a (cheaper) 16 GB CF drive and you have a low-power
diskless system for under $250.  I also grabbed a 'green' SATA drive but
hope to run primarily off the CF and let the HD spin down.  It depends
on performance - I might split it and keep / on the CF and put /home
(and swap) on the HD.

Bear