[lug] Re: [BLUG-ANNOUNCE] BLUG Meeting Announcement 2009-04-09

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 10:58:33 MDT 2009

Jeffrey and Jason,
I'm glad to know that this talk will happen!

Preamble: I'm biased against software patents (I'll bet I'm not the
only one, here, but I prefer to be clear).

I'd like to hear:

1) what are the (serious, if any) reasons to have them: why isn't
copyright enough?

2) how "the system" could work when they give away patents on basic CS
concepts - or patents that have basic CS concepts as "special case",
like this
http://curthibbs.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/a-patent-was-just-issued-for-the-linked-list-no-kidding/

3) what are the "rules" (if any) under which a patent is enforceable,
and when it's not

4) what the Bilski case really changed (if any)

Thanks,
;Davide