[lug] Looking for best way to avoid scripting password: Question from a listener

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Mon Apr 6 09:14:27 MDT 2009

Hi Paul.

My ideal would be to back up the entire server so that in the event of an
emergency, nothing would be lost and restoration would be "easy".

I want to back stuff up from my remote server to my desktop at home
(local).  I do want to create a safe copy that is available locally.
There are a number of considerations, one of which is keeping the number
of running machines to a minimum.  The remote server is currently behind a
firewall machine and my desktop machine wakes up in the early AM, backs up
the server and then shuts down if nobody is logged in.

Lee's suggestion about the external USB drive is pretty simple and
effective but I find myself resisting the use of external USB drives,
partly because I'd have to buy another piece of equipment and partly
because, in my ignorant opinion, usb drives tend to run a bit hot which
reduces disk life as well.  (Based on a sample size of two).

<snip> > thought of?