[lug] Cheap laptop for a neophyte

Ken Weinert kenw at quarter-flash.com
Wed Apr 8 07:48:05 MDT 2009

Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> My own hardware is much higher end. Does anyone have suggestions about
> machines I can point her toward? Or away from?
I have an HP dv9000 series that was just a little over that - but there
are others in the series that would fit in her budget.

I've been well pleased with it, but I will mention two things:

1) it's been in for service once after 6 months - failed to boot, turns
out it was bad memory. In this case I had an extremely good customer
service experience.

2) I run Ubuntu and I've one persistent issue during boot up. It
*always* hangs and takes a quick click of the power button to get it to
move. It's during the POST phase and when it does continue booting I get
some sort of message about a USB port that's not responding. I don't
know if this is an issue with this particular box or a general HP/Ubuntu
issue.

It doesn't bother me as I don't really reboot that much and I understand
how to get by it, but it could be an issue, depending on tolerance
levels and experience.

--
Ken Weinert