[lug] Cheap laptop for a neophyte

Nathan Berry nathan at nathan-berry.com
Wed Apr 8 07:35:31 MDT 2009

I just recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 530 for a friend of mine that is
even more computer naive.  Dell is running some good deals right now,
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_530?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ref=dthp&s=dhs.
Do not get the 530s, as the slim case runs hotter.  I have the quad core
version of this machine and am running Ubuntu.  There is a model for under
$500 with a 17" wide screen monitor.  Plenty of memory and disk space for a
novice with room to grow.  The machine is very quiet as well.

Nathan Berry