[lug] Linux on Intel Atom?

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Sat Apr 11 11:36:56 MDT 2009

I saw the Acer 10.1 inch Netbook for sale at Costco yesterday. It looks
like a neat little package for travel. But I haven't touched Windows
for years, and don't intend to renew what little skill I ever had with
it. So, is there any prospect for being able to load Linux onto one of
these, and is it likely that it has adequate CPU to run email, text
editing, etc. ? The display card on the thing says it uses Intel Atom
chip, and has 1GB RAM and 160GB HD. Price is $350. Is this a "cheap
laptop" as was being discussed a few days ago?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net