[lug] network scanner with sane & ubuntu

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sun Apr 19 13:34:47 MDT 2009

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> Lee Woodworth wrote:
>
>> My experience has been that what you want to do isn't likely to work. The
>>

> Agreed.  Searching on google for people scanning with SANE using that print
> server might help, but chances seem slim.  Even though the DLink knows that
> it's a scanner that doesn't mean that it knows how to scan using it.

It turns out that I can go to the print server's website (that is, in my
home network, not the company's website), select 'scan', set various
scanning parameters and get a jpg or pdf scan of the document.

If I'm running on windows.  For an unknown reason it's not working for
browsers under linux, and it's not because of the browser since I'm
using the same version of firefox in both cases.  Grrr.

In any case, I can probably dig into the javascript and figure out the
query for various scan modes.  It won't be as easy as running sane
directly, but it would be doable.

Bear