[lug] PCI video card that "just works" with FC10?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Apr 29 12:16:44 MDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:07:46 +0000 (UTC)
anorak at comcast.net wrote:

> I started having problems with X freezing at the end of FC8's life.
> I've got an old GeForce FX 5200 that always gave problems until I
> started using the nVidia packages from Freshrpms. I've installed FC10
> & the RPM Fusion packages. The instability is worse. Now even Fluxbox
> freezes occasionally.
>
> I'd to get away from proprietory drivers, & wouldn't mind buying a
> more modern video card, however my motherboard requires a PCI card.
> Can anyone suggest a card that will "just work"?

Not sure what to suggest for f10. The situation is much better for F11
however (out soon).

For that, I would suggest:

- Any of the intel cards. They are back to being pretty good, and the
  driver is under heavy development now.

- Any of the middle range ati cards... ie, r300/r400/r500/r600 based.
Nothing super new or super old, but the above should work nicely with
the free driver now.

I personally would avoid any nvidia cards. The free drivers have no 3d
support (yet).

kevin