[lug] PCI video card that "just works" with FC10?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 19:51:45 MDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:07:46 +0000 (UTC)
> anorak at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> I started having problems with X freezing at the end of FC8's life.
>> I've got an old GeForce FX 5200 that always gave problems until I
>> started using the nVidia packages from Freshrpms.

> - Any of the intel cards. They are back to being pretty good, and the
>  driver is under heavy development now.
>
> - Any of the middle range ati cards... ie, r300/r400/r500/r600 based.
> Nothing super new or super old, but the above should work nicely with
> the free driver now.
>
> I personally would avoid any nvidia cards. The free drivers have no 3d
> support (yet).

A dissenting opinion.

I have no problem with those who want to stick with foss-supported
cards, but I'm a died in the wool nVidia fan. Also, I avoid ATI cards
like the plague. I still remember the time about 2 years ago when
there was no way for ??? number of months months to run an ATI card
under a current kernel. Maybe the drivers have improved. All of our
Dell and HP desktops at work have buitltin ATI cads, and they are pure
crap - especially on rhel4. The most recent drivers are a little
better, but they still tend to lock up with any of the fancier
xscreensavers and/or when shifting too/from X and a CTL-AL_Fn console.
And when I say lockup, I mean push the power button time.

I've had nVidia cards for a long time with no/none/zip?nada execution
problems and only one or two problems in relinking the driver for a
new kernel. Of course, the fact that the maintenance utility I run
during upgrades takes care of fetching the appropriate nVidia
installer package and compiling the new driver certainly helps. I have
no experience with the nVidia rpm packages, but I have no need to use
prepackaged (not by nVidia) solutions.

Best of luck in your choice.

--
Collins Richey