[lug] The init process

Ken Weinert kenw at quarter-flash.com
Fri May 1 08:17:17 MDT 2009

I'm having an issue at work that I'm trying to solve.

This is regarding the VPN I need.

This, by the way, all worked on my Ubuntu install but due to 3rd party
libraries we're using I had to install CentOS and the problems started.

They have a web site that you have to log in to and it does a security
check. It checks anti-virus stuff on Windows and on Linux systems it
looks for /sbin/init.

The problem is that it doesn't look to see if /sbin/init is there, it
checks to see if /sbin/init is *running*.

That is the difference.  On my Ubuntu box when I run ps I see that
/sbin/init is running. On CentOS what's running is just  init.

Is there a way to modify the CentOS boot process so the full path shows
when you run ps?

Thanks.

Oh, pointers to where this is talked about is fine - I just couldn't
find anything when I searched earlier.

--
Ken Weinert