[lug] The init process

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Fri May 1 18:21:00 MDT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Kenneth D Weinert
<kenw at quarter-flash.com> wrote:
> Turns out that a required step is to verify that an anti-virus program
> is running.
>
> Hard to do on Linux, of course, so the admin at the company looked for a
> program that would always be running and came up with init.

If I were in your shoes... on the one hand I'd want to point out that
init isn't an antivirus program, but on the other, I'm not sure how
many more times I want to have the inevitable discussion on why
antivirus programs aren't so useful on Linux and the design
differences between Windows and Linux, and... no, I suppose I'd just
leave that argument for someone else to make.

Yup, look for /sbin/init or init.  I suppose that'll do.  *sigh*

--
Chris Riddoch