[lug] VoIP: T-Mobile @Home

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon May 11 07:50:50 MDT 2009

I was in a Longmont T-Mobile store this weekend and learned about a VoIP
service they have.  Combined with a suitable cell plan, you can get VoIP
for home for $10/month.  The router is a one-time $40 expense.  I did a
little research this weekend and discovered I can disconnect the regular
copper at the demarcation point, then just connect the VoIP router to a
jack to make use of my home's phone wiring.  Seems simple enough.

The hang ups, questions and concerns:
1.  Does VoIP really sound as good as POTS?
2.  Are the 911 issues really solved?  With T-Mobile you register your
address on-line, and presumably that info is available to emergency
people during 911 calls.  Can I trust this?
3.  Any chance of Comcast (my broadband provider) giving me one of those
heavy usage warnings?  I see an article or two about Comcast throttling
third party VoIP technologies.  Is this seemingly good deal from
T-Mobile doomed to failure?

Gary