[lug] VoIP: T-Mobile @Home

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon May 11 09:11:01 MDT 2009

Gary,

We have used this service for going on two years now (since it became available) and it has always worked fine for us.  It is actually not bad for 911 because your cell phone still works as a cell phone during power outages and while your Comcast service goes down.  However, it is still not the same as a POTS line because your cell phone location service is not as accurate as the information from POTS lines.

Ferdinand

>>> Gary Hodges <Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov> 5/11/2009 7:50 AM >>>
I was in a Longmont T-Mobile store this weekend and learned about a VoIP
service they have.  Combined with a suitable cell plan, you can get VoIP
for home for $10/month.  The router is a one-time $40 expense.  I did a
little research this weekend and discovered I can disconnect the regular
copper at the demarcation point, then just connect the VoIP router to a
jack to make use of my home's phone wiring.  Seems simple enough.

The hang ups, questions and concerns:
1.  Does VoIP really sound as good as POTS?
2.  Are the 911 issues really solved?  With T-Mobile you register your
address on-line, and presumably that info is available to emergency
people during 911 calls.  Can I trust this?
3.  Any chance of Comcast (my broadband provider) giving me one of those
heavy usage warnings?  I see an article or two about Comcast throttling
third party VoIP technologies.  Is this seemingly good deal from
T-Mobile doomed to failure?

Gary
Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety