[lug] VoIP: T-Mobile @Home

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon May 11 23:52:51 MDT 2009

Sorry - top posting due to mail reader limitations...

The service works from any WiFi access point.  This is very handy when traveling - I have used it from overseas and from remote locations where there isn't cell service and it always worked.  You can make local US calls from your cell in Europe - as long as you use WiFi.  If you have a web browser enabled phone then you can even go through the sign-on procedure and use your phone through those services.

Ferdinand

Ferdinand Schmid
IT Manager
Architectural Energy Corporation
Phone: 303-459-7431

Bamm Visscher wrote:

> T-mobile @home and T-mobile HotSpot are two different things. If you
> have a HotSpot (wifi) enabled cell phone, you can use your cell at
> home w/o incurring any airtime charges. I don't use this. I just have
> the Panasonic phones I bought at CostCo and they work fine.

Ahhh... thanks for the clarification, I thought they were the same
thing.  So my comments about the cell phone's battery and all that are
aimed at T-Mobile HotSpot, I guess.

Speaking of that service, do they also let you call from OTHER 802.11
hot spots -- well, ones where you don't have to dance through some web
page before you can connect to them, say at a friend's house where you
know their SSID and encryption setup/password? -- with those phones
without incurring airtime charges also?  (In other words, do you know if
the phone can "remember" various 802.11 locations?)

 > The only
> oddity I see is with CID. It takes two rings before it shows up.

Sounds like they just need to modify the firmware in the router to send
the CID modem tones sooner.  Interesting.

> Somewhat annoying.  Biggest pro is the cost. While I was getting
> bombarded w/fees from Qwest, my bill from T-mobile is $9.99 + 0.86
> (lame fee) + $1.86 (taxes) - $1.00 (10% off company deal). That
> includes free long distance.

That's pretty amazing pricing.  Does that include any of the typical
features (apparently I can answer that it includes Caller ID), like call
waiting, call forwarding, 3-way calling, voice mail, etc?

Nate
Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety