[lug] VoIP: T-Mobile @Home

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Tue May 12 08:00:56 MDT 2009

Gary Hodges wrote:
> I was in a Longmont T-Mobile store this weekend and learned about a VoIP
> service they have.  Combined with a suitable cell plan, you can get VoIP
> for home for $10/month.

Thanks for all the comments.  After peppering the sales person with
questions, I went ahead and picked up @Home and a cell phone for my
wife.  We have two weeks to try it out.  Currently we are using the
assigned @Home number.  If we are happy with the service, we can get our
current home number ported.  If we're not satisfied, we can dump it all
on the counter and pay only the pro-rated usage costs.

Installation was a breeze.  The unit is a Linksys WRT54G router with two
phone ports.  Overall it is a good money saver.  Two cell phones (700
shared minutes + unlimited messaging) and @Home is ~$15 cheaper than
POTS and one cell phone w/unlimited messaging.  They should have given
me a big discount though, as I spent some time explaining to them how to
  use @Home with the wiring in a house.  Exciting info for them.