[lug] sluggish machine

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue May 19 16:18:44 MDT 2009

I'd look first at two things...

1. RAM usage (is it swapping like mad?)
2. I'd wonder about a failing hard drive (anything in /var/log/messages
that looks suspicious?)

Next I'd grab a CD with memtest86 on it (CentOS install CD, for example
has it... you just type memtest86 at the CD boot prompt) and let it go
to town for a while on the RAM for a bit just to make sure some of it
hasn't gone south...

I ran into a machine last night (friend's machine, he asked me to load
some stuff on it) that would just act like interrupts had gone mad after
about 20 minutes of uptime... first the mouse would start to jerk, then
get slow, then the whole machine would lock solid, not even pings.

He had originally thought he had a bad CPU in a "sister" machine he's
already using and replaced the Celeron that the motherboard manufacturer
said was compatible that he'd put in both of these cute little 1/2 depth
1RU sized rackmount machines, with a Dual-Core.  When he heard I'd been
up half the night messing with machine #2... he just ordered another new
Dual-Core and called the retailer that said the motherboard and CPU
combo of the Celery and the motherboard "would work" and told 'em they
were getting their Celeron processor back.

We'll see how he fares.  I tried every damn setting in the BIOS, I
swear, trying to stabilize that thing... sometimes it would last 5
minutes, other times 65 minutes... but eventually it would just lock up
hard on CentOS 5.3... sigh.

Old Sun hardware would have at least told me what was wrong instead of
wasting 4-5 hours of my life.

Lesson learned:  I need to stop loading other people's computers with
OS's and things for them!  LOL!  Oh wait, maybe that wasn't the correct
lesson...

Nate WY0X