[lug] sluggish machine

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Fri May 22 09:05:01 MDT 2009

> If its lots of time in the kernel, like I have had with firefox,
> then I tend to suspect X and the kernel more than user space. X has
> had for more than a year an occasional issue where it goes into CPU eating
> mode
Interesting  (and weird...)
I'll check this, next time it will happen.

> Your kernel is a few versions old. Didn't see info about the X version
> in your original post. I would consider upgrading at least X. There have
> been changes in the kernel which affect X so it is probably a good idea
> to upgrade the kernel if you can.

I cannot. Or, better, I could, but then it will be a maintenance
nightmare, whereas now it's a walk in the park with ubuntu's automatic
updates.

*********************
The system:
Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.2 - fully kept updated
Linux-2.6.24-24-generic  i686
Gnome 2.22.3

Anyway, my xorg is:

xorg 1:7.3+10ubuntu10