[lug] iPod or MP3?

Scott Mann sunix13 at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 15:24:23 MDT 2009

Hi All,

I'm starting to look into getting an iPod or MP3 player and I'd hope to benefit from your collective experience with these things ;-)

Most of my music is now digitized (from vinyl and tape, or ripped from cd) in either WAV or MP3 files. I don't have any iTunes, yet, but I will likely start buying music by the song in the future. In part, I suspect, that where I purchase those songs from depends on what player I end up getting.

I often listen to music on my desktop (running Fedora 10). Now, I'd like to be able to put that on to some device to carry around with me and to hook up into the stereo system in my car (I know that the car stereo has a port for an iPod, but I'll have to dig into what else it might support).

My only restriction is that I do not use Microsoft software either at home or work (not really a religious thing, mostly just the way it is).

Anyway, given all that, does anyone have any recommendations about:

1) A music player (iPod or MP3)
2) Synchronization software on Linux (I've gotten as far as installing Banshee, although I don't know much about it or any other similar tools)
3) Anything else, including "go read <blah> and stop using our bandwidth!"

Thanks, a lot!

-Scott