[lug] iPod or MP3?

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Thu May 28 18:42:04 MDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Mike Stanczyk <stanczyk at pcisys.net> wrote:

> I have a Sansa too.  E200 class. I love it to death and its firmware
> is opensource too. (rockbox.org)
>
> Sadly, I usually move music to it when under Windows because I'm usually
> booted winblows for the games.  (Damn you Plants vs Zombies!!!)  I can't
> offer you advice on the computer end.
>
> If you do go for a Rockboxed sansa, pay very close attention to the model.
> There are some sansa's that the version 1 can be Rockboxed but the version 2
> hardware can't be.

This applies to the e200 series.  Dunno about other models.  Refurbs
are available for under $50 (or were, when I bought mine).

The sd memory expansion is microsd, so it's a very small module.  The
OEM OS doesn't support a capacity greater than 2 GB, but AFAIK Rockbox
has no limitation (I'm using an 8 GB module).

> iPods have taken over the dock/car accessory market.  You can plug into the
> car via the headphone jack or use the 12volt FM transmitter with Sansa dock
> but that's about it for accessories.

There are some inexpensive 3rd party FM xmitter devices available
also, which just connect to the phone jack.

--
John