[lug] dig recorders

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Thu May 28 20:40:08 MDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 20:04,  <dio2002 at indra.com> wrote:
> i'm branching off the recent thread on mp3 players:
>
>> The device itself is incapable of recording, another feature I use
>> frequently (though lately I frequently use a dedicated recorder with
>> higher quality sound).
>
> curious if anybody has recommendations on digital portable recorders.
>
> desires:
>
> - easy to get the audio off the recorder (preferably drag n drop) so that
> i can edit with a more powerful audio editor.
>
> - format flexibility (mp3 / wav)
>
> - ability to plug in a condenser mic (for better audio quality)
>
> - good battery life (ability to use batteries as well as charging if
> possible)

I use the Zoom H4 for recording acoustic guitar and sessions.  In
reviews, it was one of two which received consistent reviews of having
*very* good sound quality and features for the money spent.  I
unfortunately do not recall what the other was or why I chose the Zoom
over it, but I do recall it was a tough choice.  The Zoom H2 is also
highly recommended, but has fewer features and (I think) slightly
lower sound quality.

The good:  WAV & MP3 formats (WAV up to 96 kHz), SD card (the device
itself connects as a USB drive), lots of useful features (including
4-track recording if you need that), runs on 2 AA batteries or can be
plugged into AC power.  It also has two inputs.

The bad: Its a bit large (about the size of my hand and 1" deep) and
non-rechargeable AA batteries only last about 4-6 hours.  I have not
tried recharchgeable batteries yet, but I hear they last significantly
longer.

I'm not certain if it can charge rechargeable batteries or not as I
don't own any yet.

--David