[lug] iPod or MP3?

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri May 29 12:23:02 MDT 2009

Last I checked many iPod models could run Linux.  Modifying the OS would then let them play ogg music.  The hardware is capable of playing ogg format but Apple disables this feature in their player firmware - go figure.

Since almost all of my music is in ogg format this appeared to be the best value for music players.

Ferdinand

Ferdinand Schmid
IT Manager
Architectural Energy Corporation
Phone: 303-459-7431

>>> Davide Del Vento <davide.del.vento at gmail.com> 5/29/2009 10:38 AM >>>
I have to add a thing: about a year ago, I did a similar research.
My requirements were: I wanted something that either had ogg natively
or supported rockbox. And I didn't want to buy it on ebay (in other
words: I accepted buying it used only from someone here in Boulder and
not from any remote location)
Results: I gave up after lot of effort (and a little contribution to
rockbox for a sansa model which wasn't supported yet - and I believe
still isn't supported)

Please let us know the results of your research (both the model that
you'll buy and the ones that you'll discard - and why)

Thanks
;Dav

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 08:32, Scott Mann <sunix13 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks, everyone, for all the feedback! I've clearly got some research to do.
>
> -Scott

Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety