[lug] Ubuntu users: request for topics for articles

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sun Jun 7 15:55:11 MDT 2009

I've been asked to write for an new magazine on Ubuntu (or at least
propose some topics for potential articles).  I'm not an Ubuntu user, in
fact it mostly annoys me how they hide lots of things to prevent people
from shooting themselves in the foot.  But I'm willing to learn what the
distro is all about in order to do some articles for them.

So, as I'm diving into a vm installation of Ubuntu, I have a question
for Ubuntu users:  What articles would you like to see related to your
distro?  What complaints about it do you have?  Those might also make
good article material.

I'm likely to avoid topics that are too Ubuntu specific, like tweaking
desktop menus and any Canonical-specific admin tools.  I'm more
interested in hearing about applications you use under Ubuntu that you'd
like more articles on since the applications should (in most cases) not
be distro specific.  But I'll run the apps under Ubuntu to make sure
there are no distro-specific gotchas the readers should know about.

Please don't say GIMP.  I'm already doing a monthly column on that for
another magazine and 10 years and three books has my head ready to
'splode if it has to write anymore than monthly on that topic.

Direct replies are fine since this may not be something the lists want
to hear about.  But who better to ask than list of Linux users?

FYI:  http://www.ubuntu-user.com/

It's a European or at least UK magazine - not sure if it'll hit US
shelves.  I think it's owned by the same company that purchased Linux
Magazine in the US and made it a web-only publication.

PS:  too bad we can't have a Fedora magazine, I mean other than the Red
Hat online version.

--
Michael J. Hammel
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org