[lug] Ubuntu users: request for topics for articles

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Jun 8 10:28:46 MDT 2009

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> I've been asked to write for an new magazine on Ubuntu (or at least
> propose some topics for potential articles).  I'm not an Ubuntu user, in
> fact it mostly annoys me how they hide lots of things to prevent people
> from shooting themselves in the foot.  But I'm willing to learn what the
> distro is all about in order to do some articles for them.
>
> So, as I'm diving into a vm installation of Ubuntu, I have a question
> for Ubuntu users:  What articles would you like to see related to your
> distro?  What complaints about it do you have?  Those might also make
> good article material.

How about Windows support in Ubuntu?  Can you put your Turbo Tax CD in
the drive and double-click on Install?  Can you put World of Warcraft on
it? (I know you can but I never did it myself).  I am thinking about
Wine for these questions, not using a virtual machine.

How about cross-platform document synchronization, including to other
desktops, laptops, PDAs, phones, iPods.  I know about Unison but it's
pretty ugly, slow and difficult to configure and automate, especially on
Windows.  This can't be answered by using network storage either,
because plenty of documents need to be available when networks are not.
--
Zan Lynx
zlynx at acm.org

"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."