[lug] Ubuntu users: request for topics for articles

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 11:20:50 MDT 2009

Ubuntu One, which isn't yet out, doesn't sound like it will be
cross-platform.  It sounds like it'll just be an Ubuntu-specific analogue of
Dropbox, which is cross-platform (Windows/Mac/Linux).

I quite like Dropbox so far.   My sister, who's a professional artist and
knows nothing other than clicking and dragging, likes and uses it, too, as
do our sales guys.

The for-pay version gets you 50-100G, but you can get up to 5G for free.
 That's more space than most of the thumb drives I have lying around.

It gets quite confused by links (symbolic or real).  I can imagine that'd be
hard for a cross-platform product.

I think I've read that it's built on top of S3, svn, and rsync.  It isn't
just network storage, though.  The transfer uses the network, but you end up
with real, local copies of everything.

I plead ignorance about whether it does PDAs, iPods, iPhones, etc.

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell]