[lug] Ubuntu users: request for topics for articles

Charles Hutchinson chutchin at geekboi.org
Mon Jun 8 11:42:49 MDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Michael J. Hammel <
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:

> I've been asked to write for an new magazine on Ubuntu (or at least
> propose some topics for potential articles).  I'm not an Ubuntu user, in
> fact it mostly annoys me how they hide lots of things to prevent people
> from shooting themselves in the foot.  But I'm willing to learn what the
> distro is all about in order to do some articles for them.
>
> So, as I'm diving into a vm installation of Ubuntu, I have a question
> for Ubuntu users:  What articles would you like to see related to your
> distro?  What complaints about it do you have?  Those might also make
> good article material.
>
> I'm likely to avoid topics that are too Ubuntu specific, like tweaking
> desktop menus and any Canonical-specific admin tools.  I'm more
> interested in hearing about applications you use under Ubuntu that you'd
> like more articles on since the applications should (in most cases) not
> be distro specific.  But I'll run the apps under Ubuntu to make sure
> there are no distro-specific gotchas the readers should know about.
>
> Please don't say GIMP.  I'm already doing a monthly column on that for
> another magazine and 10 years and three books has my head ready to
> 'splode if it has to write anymore than monthly on that topic.
>
> Direct replies are fine since this may not be something the lists want
> to hear about.  But who better to ask than list of Linux users?
>
> FYI:  http://www.ubuntu-user.com/
>
> It's a European or at least UK magazine - not sure if it'll hit US
> shelves.  I think it's owned by the same company that purchased Linux
> Magazine in the US and made it a web-only publication.

I personally would like to see inside the bug tracking process.  There seems
to be some fairly high level bugs that do not get a lot of attention for
what would seem to be a too long amount of time.  The one that I am
experiencing myself at the moment would appear to be
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/355155?comments=all

There has been no resources assigned and the importance is set to undecided
even though there are more than a few reports of data loss.

So what goes on behind the scenes with the Ubuntu team?  How can end
users/non-programmers better help get what would seem to be critical issues
pushed up in the debug cycle?

Charlie

--

Dan Quayle <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/d/dan_quayle.html>  -
"This President is going to lead us out of this recovery."