[lug] Ubuntu users: request for topics for articles

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 17:19:29 MDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Michael J. Hammel
<mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:
> I've been asked to write for an new magazine on Ubuntu (or at least
> propose some topics for potential articles).  I'm not an Ubuntu user, in
> fact it mostly annoys me how they hide lots of things to prevent people
> from shooting themselves in the foot.  But I'm willing to learn what the
> distro is all about in order to do some articles for them.
>
> So, as I'm diving into a vm installation of Ubuntu, I have a question
> for Ubuntu users:  What articles would you like to see related to your
> distro?  What complaints about it do you have?  Those might also make
> good article material.

Here's my favorite question:
What's the right way to control start-up?  Ubuntu doesn't use sys-V
init.  I understand sys-V init.  How do I use the new Ubuntu start up
scripts?  How do I make something start?  How do I disable a service?
How do I add a new service?  etc.

Michael