[lug] Ubuntu users: request for topics for articles

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Jun 8 20:57:01 MDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 10:27 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> Also think of all the 3-D state that has to be saved in a suspend or
> snapshot and the problems in rebuilding that, especially if someone
> tries to restore the VM on different hardware.

I noticed a code submission on the x.org mailing list of 3D driver for
VMWare from a vmware person.  I didn't read about it, however, since
that was before I got the suggestion to look at compiz-fusion.

> I doubt a small market segment like Linux OpenGL will ever get supported
> commercially and I don't see any projects around with the skill and
> manpower to do it for free when the free open-source community can
> barely manage to write efficient 3-D drivers for real hardware.

There is enough openGL in the government and even financial sectors to
keep it going commercially.  I know nvidia has at least one highly
qualified 3D developer for Linux/Unix - Thomas Roell is working for them
now.

> You could always use a Ubuntu live CD instead of a VM.

What?  Reboot?  Blasphemy!  :-)

--
Michael J. Hammel
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org