[lug] Ubuntu users: request for topics for articles

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jun 9 10:09:40 MDT 2009

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:04:22 -0600
Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Michael J. Hammel
> <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 17:19 -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> >> What's the right way to control start-up?  Ubuntu doesn't use sys-V
> >> init.  I understand sys-V init.  How do I use the new Ubuntu start
> >> up scripts?  How do I make something start?  How do I disable a
> >> service? How do I add a new service?  etc.
> >
> > Hmm.  Sounds like they switched to upstart, something Fedora has
> > already done.  I'm still not that clear on the proper way to use
> > them, though Fedora still uses "service" and "chkconfig" to work
> > with the init scripts.  I'll add this to the list.

Yeah, Fedora uses it in SysVinit compat mode. So, the scripts are all
still the same, it's just using upstart. :)

> That's right--upstart.  In fact, I believe that Ubuntu wrote it.  I
> think there is a sysv interface you can install on top of upstart, but
> it isn't there by default in Ubuntu.

I'm not a Ubuntu user, so I can't say for sure, but I have been told
that they also use SysVinit compat mode.

The author(s) of upstart are doing a re-write right now. It turns out
that the way they were doing their model didn't work at all for some
use cases, so they went back and did a redesign and are doing a
re-write. Once thats done, I expect both Fedora and Ubuntu will start
moving scripts to native upstart.

> Michael

kevin