[lug] discussion/change of topic: new startup tools

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jun 9 11:40:50 MDT 2009

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:48:19 -0600
"Nate Duehr" <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> > The author(s) of upstart are doing a re-write right now. It turns
> > out that the way they were doing their model didn't work at all for
> > some use cases, so they went back and did a redesign and are doing a
> > re-write. Once thats done, I expect both Fedora and Ubuntu will
> > start moving scripts to native upstart.
>
> So... big picture-wise here...
>
> Sun seems to have started this trend with creating a new way to start
> up Unix systems in Solaris 10, and then the Linuxes copy-catted it
> but made it completely different (as usual)...
>
> What I've been trying to figure out for a while was... what REAL
> benefits does any of this have over having just about everything on
> SysV?
...snip...

The reason Fedora at least went with upstart is that it had a active
upstream. SysVinit was dead in the water. Fedora had a ton of patches
fixing various bugs, and no upstream. It was decided it would be better
to move to upstart rather than try and fork it and build another
community for it.

It remains to be seen if the new upstart event model is worth anything
over sysvinit. I guess we wait and see.

kevin