[lug] Admining Linux Desktops

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 14:16:21 MDT 2009

> I currently have a
> debian server doing file sharing, e-mail, etc, but no desktop Linux.
I'm continually using Linux on deskop since about 1998. On laptops
since about 2002.

> 1) I want to install Ubuntu on the desktop machines, but I want to
> control the upgrades. I'd like one 'test' desktop that gets updates
> before everyone else. If the updates go fine, everyone gets the updates.
(snip)
> Thoughts?

Are you going to install only stuff from Ubuntu repositories? If so,
the double repository and "test first" is just a waste of time, IMO.
Troubles don't come from updates anymore, these days. Ubuntu "just
works (tm)".
If you need to install also lot of things from source, trunk or other
places, then your set-up might be worth the effort, to check
compatibilities.

I highly recommend an LTS version (which means Hardy, if you have to
install it today).

Bye,
;Dav