[lug] Panera wireless using Fedora

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sun Jun 14 21:46:13 MDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 19:36 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 19:28:24 -0600
> "Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 19:10 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > > Before looking at all this, I have to ask: why not just use
> > > NetworkManager?
> >
> > It never worked before (had the same reputation as Pulse Audio 'round
> > here), but I'll consider it.  How does one use it?
>
> Disable network (or change your wireless device with
> system-config-network to be 'NetworkManager managed'.
>
> Then, you should see a nm-applet tool in your system tray on your
> desktop. From that you can select a wireless network to join. Once you
> select one, NetworkManager knows you have used it before and if it sees
> it again, it will automatically try and rejoin it. You can remove a
> network from this by right clicking on nm-applet and editing the
> connection. Just remove it's settings.

Okay, it's back running.  Turns out I had the nm-applet disabled at
startup.  I had to turn that back on too.  So now its managing the
network at home.  I'll try it at Panera tomorrow.  If it just works, all
the better.  I'll still look at the cnetworkmanager script just 'cuz I
wanna set what it does to get things running.

Thanks for the help Kevin.
--
Michael J. Hammel
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org