[lug] Reproducing a build

Swavek Skret swavek.skret at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 14:51:32 MDT 2009

I am working on reproducing a build of a C project from a few years back. I
have the old final build and know the platform on which it was done (ubuntu
7.04; gcc 4.1.2).

When I install 7.04 and add build-essential package (for all build tools), I
can successfully build the project but, unfortunately, some object files,
libs, and executables do not match identically to these from the old final
build.

Does anyone know what tools to use (readelf, objdump, nm, etc.) and how to
go about mapping these old final build object files, libs, and executables
to the build environment that would reproduce the old build?

Thanks,
Swavek